Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Recipe Joy Holiday Combo
The Jolly Holiday Combo is the most popular meal in the happiest place on earth. Here’s a delicious grilled cheese sandwich with creamy tomato basil soup – the best comfort food in Disneyland!
We love Disney food, and if you feel the same way, you’ll love our Carnation Coffee Roasted Potato Soup and Monte Cristo Sandwich!
Happy Holiday Combo Recipe
Our favorite meal at Disneyland was the Jolly Holiday Combo!
This is a delicious grilled cheese sandwich served with warm tomato basil soup. It’s pretty good and just one of the many comfort foods you can find in the park. The soup is delicious and the grilled cheese is simple but perfect for dipping. Definitely a must at Jolly Holiday Cafe.
We have a very similar classic tomato basil soup recipe, but we just made a few minor changes and added toasted sandwiches to today’s recipe. Whether it’s winter or summer, you’ll find yourself craving this delicious meal.
How to Make Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Let’s start with the soup!
Sauté the garlic in a large pot over medium heat until fragrant. Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, and onion powder to the pot. (not tomato juice). Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken stock and tomato juice. Stir and cook uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Stir every now and then. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Working in small batches, add the soup to the blender. Mix the thick mixture until it is smooth and creamy. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the rest of the soup until it’s all combined and add to a bowl.
Whisk heavy cream into combined mixture. Mix until well mixed. Taste and add more garlic salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan cheese.
texture: If you find your soup is too thick, just add more broth, tomato juice or water. If your soup is too thin, you can choose from the following:
- too thick
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of cream
- add a little tomato puree
- too thin
- To use flour: In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon flour with ½ cup soup.Stir until smooth, then return to the stockpot
- To use cornstarch: In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir until smooth and add to soup.
using roasted tomatoes: If you want to go the extra mile, replace half of the diced tomatoes with homemade roasted tomatoes. They add a delicious layer that complements the other ingredients. bake:
- 1.5-2 pounds tomatoes (not cherries), 3/4 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1/2-1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, and 1-2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese (optional )
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Cut tomatoes in half. Toss them with oil, vinegar, garlic and basil. Place tomatoes cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bake at 450° for 15-30 minutes or until tomatoes are soft but not mushy.
- To use in soups: Put tomatoes in a blender and chop slightly. Add 14 ounces of roasted tomatoes and 14 ounces of canned diced tomatoes to the soup.
Early meal: Tomato soup freezes well. This means you can easily make delicious meals ahead of time. Follow the recipe except without the heavy cream. Let the soup cool before placing in an airtight freezer-safe container. Label and freeze for 4-6 months. You can also freeze leftovers, but the texture may change when reheated due to the creaminess.
You can also keep the soup in the refrigerator. Whether you make it ahead or want to enjoy leftovers, simply place the soup in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Leftover Tip: Divide soup into individual serving containers for storage. Just grab a serving from the fridge or freezer to warm up.
reheat: Thaw if frozen. Heat the soup in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
- If soup is made ahead: Once hot, but not boiling, add heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
- If the soup is frozen for leftovers: Bring the soup to low heat, stirring to help the cream and soup mixture blend smoothly.
You can also use the microwave to reheat the soup if you’re in a hurry or on the go. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between. until nice and warm.
make grilled cheese
This is the easiest part and depends on how you like to do it best. We have the classic grilled cheese sandwich recipe and this is our go-to. It’s easy…with very few ingredients and it only takes a few minutes to make. We also have our ultimate grilled cheese sandwich with 3 cheeses that’s a bit decadent.
For simplicity, we will only make the classic version. All you need is bread, cheddar, provolone, butter and garlic salt.
Add each cheese to a slice of bread. Butter each side and sprinkle with garlic salt before cooking. Serve hot with soup and fall in love because we promise you will. 😉
More Disney Soups and Sandwiches:
For more Disney recipes:
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Calories 57 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, drained but liquid reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons basil puree or fresh chopped basil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 c tomato juice from the can
- 1/3 c heavy cream
- Garlic salt, pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese optional
Sauté the garlic in a large pot over medium heat until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, and onion powder to the pot. (not tomato juice). Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken stock and tomato juice. Stir and cook uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Stir every now and then.
Add garlic salt and pepper to taste. Working in small batches, add the soup to the blender. Mix the thick mixture until it is smooth and creamy. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat with the rest of the soup until it’s all combined and add to a bowl.
Whisk heavy cream into combined mixture. Mix until well mixed.
Taste and add more garlic salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with croutons, basil and Parmesan cheese.