pavlova christmas tree
Pavlova (a common Russian female name)
- 8 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cup granulated sugar (350 g)
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (225 g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g), divided
- ¼ cup water (60 ml)
- 1 cup cranberries (140 g)
Pistachio Whipped Cream
- 8 oz mascarpone (225 g)
- 2 cups heavy cream (480 ml)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (55 g), divided, plus 2 tablespoons
- 6 ounces unsweetened pistachio spread (165 g)
- ½ teaspoon juniper green gel food coloring
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, trimmed into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces, for garnish
- Calories 560
- Fat 43g
- Carbohydrates 41g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 34g
- Protein 11g
An estimate based on a serving size.
- To make the pavlova: Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Find 6 round objects, such as plates or glasses, starting at 6 inches in diameter and going down 1 inch in diameter. Trace each circle on the parchment, leaving at least 1 inch of space between the circles. Flip the parchment over so the marked side is facing down. Set the grill to the middle and top positions. Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing until firm, glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes total. If desired, remove bowl from mixer and transfer meringue to a larger bowl.
- Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave every 30 seconds until melted, 1½–2 minutes total.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the meringue and gently fold twice with a rubber spatula to create a marbled effect.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the meringue onto the parchment paper, filling in the drawn circles. Smooth the edges with a spatula, making sure each round is 1 inch high.
- Bake the meringue for 2 hours. Without opening the oven door, turn off the heat and let the meringue cool for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Make the sweetened cranberries: Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Add ¼ cup sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture begins to boil, about 3 minutes. Add the cranberries and stir until evenly coated. Transfer cranberries to a wire rack and let dry for 1 hour.
- Transfer cranberries to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar over berries and toss to coat. Return the cranberries to the wire rack to dry for 1 hour.
- Make the pistachio cream: In a medium bowl, beat the mascarpone with an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed until lightly fluffy, about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Add ½ cup powdered sugar to the whipped cream and continue beating until medium peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Add pistachio jam and food coloring and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, stir the whipped mascarpone cheese into the whipped pistachio cream until well combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Place largest meringue on a flat plate and top with about 2 cups pistachio cream, spreading almost to the edges of the meringue. Continue stacking, working from the largest meringue layer to the smallest, alternating with the cream. Finished with minimal meringue.
- Glue the sweetened cranberries and rosemary sprigs to the pistachio cream layer around the pavlova. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar to a fine mesh sieve and dust the top.
- Slice and serve.