The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a classic in our house. Not only are they easy to make and loved by everyone, but they are easily transformed by the breads, cheeses, fillings and spices used to make them! This version is our top pick!
One of the kids’ favorites! ! They’re also big fans of pigs in a blanket, chicken tenders, and pizza casseroles.
Family Classic: Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Can we all agree that grilled cheese sandwiches are the best? !
It is a tradition in our family to make lunch every Sunday after coming home from church. We sometimes have homemade bread on hand and make it with that, but usually change it up for the kids if they like to just add cheese or a bit of ham.
No matter what you do, I think it’s safe to say that this recipe is an American classic – definitely a family classic for us. Sometimes you just can’t beat buttered bread, baked and stuffed with cheese!
Best Bread, Cheese + More
bread: You can use anything from sandwich bread to finely crumbled artisan bread. Any type of bread I do recommend you use is a few days old. Dryer bread helps to develop a better browned crust. To speed up the process, put the slices in the toaster just enough time to dry them out, but not enough time to bake them. We actually used a few slices of our easy homemade bread recipe – so good!
What is artisan bread? Artisan bread covers many different types of bread, but is often used to identify rustic looking homemade breads and crusts. Usually you can find bread buns labeled “Artisan Bread”. Sourdough, challah, ciabatta, hearth, Italian, bagettes, rye, broche are just a few of the many artisan breads.
cheese: American and cheddar cheese A very classic option, but you can use pretty much any cheese you like as long as it’s in the “melting family.” Some ideas include:
- Gruyere (Swiss cheese)
- Monterey Jack
Extra Flavor and Other Tips:
- Add a layer of spread to the bread. Mayonnaise or softened cream cheese are delicious options.
- Add garlic: Sprinkle garlic on buttered bread. You can also mix softened butter with chopped garlic and spread it on the outside of bread.
- Make sure to use whatever applicator you use for wall-to-wall coverage.
How to Make Grilled Cheese
It’s very easy to do this!
Just butter one side of the bread (you can also use mayo instead), then place it in a frying pan or heated skillet, add the cheese, and then add another slice of buttered bread. Sometimes we add a thin layer of cream cheese between the breads before cooking for a tastier and/or blended cheese.
Cook until the bottom is golden brown, until the cheese is melted. Very simple.
make them mini: Large slices can be cut in half diagonally. But it’s fun to use smaller slices to make mini sandwiches. Mini croutons are great with various types of cheese, giving guests the opportunity to taste them.
- Using a heavy-bottomed skillet or electric frying pan really helps the sandwich cook and brown evenly.
- Using a Panini press is also a good option. Just make sure the ingredients inside the sandwich don’t get squashed under the weight of the press.
- Because the bread has a layer of butter, you don’t have to worry about a nonstick coating on the pan.
- Start with a cold pan: This allows the bread to form a delicious crust while the cheese melts.If you’re making multiple sandwiches, reduce pan heat between batches
storage + reheating
Leftovers: Wrap cooled remaining sandwiches in aluminum foil. They can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can also freeze leftover sandwiches. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, then foil again. Freeze for 1-2 months.
Reheat: Reheating leftover grilled cheese on the stove top works best. You can also use the oven or microwave if you are in a hurry.
- Stove Top: Heat a heavy-bottomed pan. Use only low heat if the sandwich is frozen, otherwise use medium heat. Put the sandwiches in the pan. Cover the pan with the lid, but be sure to place it on its side so steam doesn’t build up.Heat both sides of the sandwich until warm and the cheese is melted.
Soup with Grilled Cheese:
Serving Size 4
Calories 286 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 8 artisan bread slices, sourdough, homemade
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- garlic salt
Just butter one side of the bread (you can also use mayo instead), then place it in a frying pan or heated skillet, add the cheese, and then add another slice of buttered bread.
Cook until the bottom is golden brown, until the cheese is melted.