Classic Key Lime Pie Recipe – So Easy!
Classic key lime pie is creamy and irresistible. It’s super easy to make and the perfect pie for summer.
Lime has such a refreshing and tangy flavor that makes this dessert so delicious. If you like lime flavor, you’ll love this lime cake or these lime tart bars.
Key lime pie is one such iconic southern dessert. I love the lime flavor, the extra creamy texture, the crunchy graham cracker crust and the whipped cream on top. The slightly sweet graham cracker crust is the perfect complement to the flavor of the filling!
Don’t be afraid to try making this pie from scratch! It’s much simpler than you might think!
With just a handful of ingredients and a total bake time of only 20-25 minutes, you’ll want to make this recipe again and again.
How to Make Key Lime Pie
Ingredients: This classic pie has just a few simple ingredients. Graham cracker crust is made with graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Then make the filling with sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks.
Make sure to use sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. Note that you only need the egg yolks – so you can discard the egg whites. Again, key limes can be substituted for regular limes if you can find them. The taste will only be slightly different!
Pie Crust: Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Press the mixture into a pie pan (I like to press evenly with a measuring cup, but you can also use your hands) and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool while you make the filling.
filling: Whisk all the ingredients together and pour into the crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until it is fully set but still unstable in the middle. Cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream and lime slices before serving!
Crafting and Storage Tips
- This recipe makes an 8- or 9-inch pie. However, there is not enough batter for a 10-inch or deep-dish pie.
- We start by baking the crust on its own for 10 minutes – this helps it hold together.
- For extra tartness, add 2 teaspoons lime zest.
- If you like a little less sourness – use ⅓ cup lime juice instead.
- Be careful when baking the pie – it should still jiggle in the middle when you take it out of the oven. It will bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the pie completely, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving. Cooling the pie solidifies the filling and actually improves the flavor. Don’t skip this step!
- Don’t forget the whipped cream on top! Paired with lime pie, it tastes so good!
Can you make lime pie with regular limes?
Yes – you absolutely can. I know it can sometimes be difficult to find key limes, depending on where you live. So feel free to use regular limes. Just make sure to squeeze the limes fresh. The lime juice in the bottle may be too sour.
Storage/Freezing: Cover leftovers with plastic wrap or foil in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze (without whipped cream or lime slices), wrap in plastic wrap and foil, or freeze for several months. Thaw and place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
Want more citrus recipes? Try these:
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Refrigerate for 4 hours
Total time 4 hours 40 minutes
Calories 149 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- Whipped cream and limes for garnish
Graham Cracker Crust
In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat breadcrumbs, sugar and melted butter.
Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch pie pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Leave the oven on and let the crust cool while you make the filling.
In a medium bowl, whisk sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks until smooth.
Pour the batter over the crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. It should look a little fixed, but still a little wobbly.
Remove from oven and cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Top with whipped cream, lime zest, and lime wedges.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator.