The Best Baked Chicken Parmesan
This Baked Chicken Parmesan has the perfect lemon flavor and is oven baked to perfection – crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!
We love Chicken Parmesan so much we have multiple versions. Be sure to check out our Mayo Parmesan Chicken Bake and Parmesan Crusted Stuffed Chicken.
crispy + delicious
My family loves chicken for dinner! I love that chicken is versatile and easy to cook! Everything from the tacos to the fries is great and my kids love it.
Grilled chicken is one of my favorite entrees and I love coming up with new flavor combinations for it. For this recipe, we decided to add a little lemon, which is the perfect complement to this Chicken Parmesan.
It’s easy, crispy and delicious! It has a crunchy lemon and parmesan coating on the outside, and the chicken is tender and flavorful on the inside. Believe it or not, this is great for the whole family, even the kids!
Best of all, it’s super easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights!
How to Make Lemony Chicken Parmesan
soak. Prep your chicken breasts by placing them in a mixture of beaten eggs and lemon juice to soak in the lemon zest.
coat. Dip the chicken in the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, and Parmesan mixture, then place the chicken pieces on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
*notes: Cooking spray helps them get crispy and golden brown in the oven.
bake. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Flip each piece of chicken over and cook for another 10 minutes, until they are crisp and browned (smells delicious!!)
Serve Serve with any of your favorite side dishes – salads, vegetables, potatoes or bread. We like to serve these:
lemon peel: Lemon rind is taken from the rind of a piece of citrus fruit, in this case a lemon. First, wash the citrus. Then, use a grater, a small portion of a cheese grater, or a paring knife to scrape off the peel. Stop when you reach the white part of the fruit. A medium-sized lemon should yield 1 tablespoon of peel.
Make it crispy: The benefits of baking mean a healthier dish, but it can also mean that you won’t get the same texture as when frying. Here are some tips on how to help get a crispier baked Parmesan chicken:
- To use the broiler: When there are 1-2 minutes left in the roasting time, turn on the broiler and move the plate to the top rack. Bake for 1-2 minutes per side. Watch carefully, as grilled food can go from perfectly crisp to charred in seconds.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan
Do this ahead of time: You can easily do this ahead of time. In fact, you can store/freeze uncooked and grilled chicken parmesan.
- Unbaked: Coat the chicken and place on a plate, covered with plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before baking. Alternatively, coat chicken, snap freeze for 1-2 hours, then store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 6 months. (To freeze chicken, it must not have been frozen before.)
- Baking: Cook the chicken, cool and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Alternatively, grill the chicken, cool, and flash freeze for 1-2 hours, then store in an airtight freezer-safe container for 1-3 months.
As I mentioned before, these Lemony Parmesan Baked Chicken Breasts are tender and flavorful and the whole family loves them! This is definitely something we will make again and again!
For more roast chicken recipes, check out:
Prep time 40 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total time 1 hour 5 minutes
Serving Size 4
Calories 415 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- zest of a lemon
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- fresh lemon slices for serving
Trim and cut chicken into serving-size pieces. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice. Add the chicken pieces to the egg mixture, cover and refrigerate for thirty minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil and set aside.
In a shallow dish, toss together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip chicken nuggets in breadcrumbs and coat both sides. Place on prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Serve with fresh lemon slices.
This chicken looks like it will be a hit with my family! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe, Alicia! Visit Alicia at Baker Upstairs for more delicious recipes!