Italian Sausage Soup Recipe | Little Luna
Hearty and delicious Italian sausage soup filled with tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, spinach and more. The recipe is easy to make on the stove and can be enjoyed all year round!
We love sausage in our soups, and if you do, you’ll love our tortellini soup and lasagna soup. All of these pair perfectly with baguettes and will be a hit with your family!
Easy Italian Sausage Soup
We might be a little obsessed with soup, which is why we have so many versions on the site. Luckily for us and you, we’re going to stick with soup recipes because they’re just that good. They may be more popular during the colder months, but we love soups year-round.
Today’s sausage soup recipe is not only easy but delicious. It includes Italian sausage, beef broth, stewed tomatoes, carrots, beans, zucchini, spinach, and more. The combination of ingredients makes for a very tasty soup that’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Next time we might even try adding some squash and broccoli, but it’s really good!
How to Make Sausage Soup
To make this soup, place the sausage and garlic in a stock pot over medium heat.
Add broth, tomatoes and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Once boiled, add the beans and zucchini chunks. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes, until the zucchini is tender. From there you will remove the pot from the stove, add the spinach, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. It’s very simple!
control spice: Italian sausage already has seasoning added to the sausage. Use mild flavors for a mellow flavor, or turn up the heat with spicy sausage.
add vegetables: This is a great “garden” soup. Use seasonal vegetables. Onions, celery, bell peppers, and potatoes are all good choices. Pay attention to the size and tenderness of the vegetables. Larger and firmer vegetables can be added at the beginning. And smaller and softer vegetables should be added halfway through.
top match Parmesan cheese is even more delicious!
More Cooking Methods + Sides
Sausage soup is a quick and easy meal. It only takes about 30 minutes to put it on the stove top. However, you can also choose to use a slow cooker or an Instant Pot.
- slow cooker: Put brown sausage and garlic in saucepan. Use the same pan to sauté the carrots a bit until soft. Place carrots and remaining ingredients (except spinach) in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. When the spinach has about 30 minutes left, stir. Cover and finish cooking.
- instant pot: Saute sausage and garlic in Instant Pot until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients (except spinach). Put the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure the pressure valve is set to “Sealing” and press the “Soup” button. When the soup is done, your Instant Pot should automatically go to the keep warm setting. Release the pressure before removing the cap. Stir in spinach, then cover, but do not lock. Let the spinach heat up for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid and serve.
Side thoughts: Here are some great recipes to use for this soup:
How to store
storage: Leftover sausage soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days, or use a freezerable container and store in the refrigerator for 4-6 months. Tip: Divide leftover soup into individual serving containers for easy access to a quick snack. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
Freezer Meal? Keeping soup in the fridge is a great way to have a quick, warm and delicious meal, even on busy days. Brown the sausage and garlic. Saute carrots until soft. Put all ingredients except spinach in a large resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator for 4-6 months. Heat: Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add spinach for last 5 minutes.
For more soup recipes, check out:
Course Appetizers, Main Courses, Soups
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Calories 481.35 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) canned bruschetta tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Great Northern beans, undrained
- 2 small zucchini diced into cubes
- 2 cups spinach packed, rinsed and torn
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic salt
Sear the sausage and garlic in a stockpot on the stovetop.
Add broth, tomatoes, and carrots, then season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the whole can of beans and zucchini chunks. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
Remove from heat and add spinach. Cover and let the soup rest for another 5 minutes. The heat in the pot will cook the spinach leaves.
service and enjoyment