Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe | Little Luna
Everything you love about lasagna (noodles, meat and cheese) minus everything you don’t (layering and lots of time)! This lasagna soup is easy, filling, and absolutely delicious! !
If you love lasagna, you’ll love this soup recipe. Serve with some breadsticks and a Caesar salad and you’ve got something the whole family will love!
Lasagna in Soup Form
First off, is there anyone who doesn’t like lasagna? Honestly, my kids can eat pretty much anything that has noodles, but lasagna in particular is a favorite dish in our family.
Now imagine all the delicious Italian flavors contained in a lasagna, but in soup form. Awesome, right? !
If you think this sounds like a dream, you are absolutely right. This lasagna soup is so delicious, the flavors of the ricotta and Italian sausage are mixed under the noodles and tomatoes. Not to mention, it’s filling too!
How to make
Soup base. First fry the sausages in olive oil for 6-8 minutes. Add seasonings and cook for 1 minute more. Then add the tomato paste and stir. Add diced tomatoes, basil, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Noodle. While the soup is simmering, cook the noodles according to the package directions. After the noodles are cooked, strain them and add them to the soup.
cheese mixture. In a small bowl, combine all cheese ingredients. To serve, add a small dollop of the cheese mixture to the bottom of the bowl, then slowly add to the soup.
Why do I have to cook pasta separately? Technically, you can cook pasta in soup. However, the texture of the pasta tends to be soggy/sticky. For best results, cook the pasta separately so that it is al dente. When added to soup, it will finish cooking and give the best results.
Tips for this recipe:
- You can use ½ ground beef or ground turkey and ½ sausage.
- Freeze leftover tomato paste for later use.
- Sneak in some veggies: 1 cup shredded carrots or zucchini
- If you want a thinner soup, add more broth. If you want your soup to be thicker, add more tomato paste. .
- The recipe calls for ½ c fresh basil, if you only have dried basil use ¼ c.
- Garnish with mozzarella and basil if you like!
other cooking methods
Cylinder. You can easily make lasagna soup in a crock pot. Prepare main ingredients as directed and place in saucepan. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high heat and 7-8 hours on low heat. When there are only 25-35 minutes left, add the cooked pasta.
Instant Pot. You can use the Instant Pot as a soup base to speed up the cooking time.
- Press sauté on the Instant Pot and spray with cooking oil. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion powder, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off stir-fry mode.
- Add batter, tomatoes, basil and chicken stock. Cover and cook by pressure. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the cheese mixture while cooking.
- Release the pressure and carefully remove the cover. Add to cooked pasta and serve.
Leftovers: Keep leftover soup in an airtight container for 3-5 days.Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. Note that the pasta will continue to absorb the liquid from the soup and may take on a different texture.
Can I freeze lasagna soup? You can definitely freeze the base of this soup and eat it later. Do not freeze with cheese mixture or pasta. You can freeze cheese and pasta in their own containers or prepare them overnight.
There’s nothing like getting one of our favorite dinner recipes in soup form. If you love all the goodness of lasagna, you’ll love this lasagna soup recipe. 😉 Happy soup making!
Serve with Lasagna Soup:
For more soup recipes, check out:
Course Main Course, Soup
Gourmet American, Italian
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total time 50 minutes
Calories 564 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 TB onion powder
- 1 TB oregano
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 28 oz can roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 c mozzarella cheese for garnish
Brown sausage in olive oil for 6-8 minutes. Add onion powder, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir.
Add diced tomatoes, basil and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
Combine all cheese ingredients in a small bowl.
After the noodles are cooked, strain and add to the soup.
To serve, add a small dollop of the cheese mixture to the bottom of the bowl and slowly add to the soup. Garnish with mozzarella and basil.