Crock Pot Chicken Stew Recipe (+ Video)
An easy, convenient, and delicious stew recipe made in a crock pot! Made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ranch dressing and more, this creamy slow cooker chicken recipe is delicious! !
Nothing beats a crock pot recipe on a busy day. I make a lot of crock pot soups in the fall and winter and this is one of my favorites. I also love Chicken Florentine, Taco Soup, and Baked Potato Soup, all made in the slow cooker!
Simple, convenient and delicious!
I know we’ve shared several soup recipes over the past few weeks, but we have too many good soup recipes to share. Today’s Crock Pot Chicken recipe is another winner. Everyone loves it, but adults especially love this hearty and delicious recipe.
It’s super creamy and full of flavor! The best part is, it’s all made from crock pots. Simple, convenient, delicious – nothing beats it! If you’re looking for an easy and delicious soup recipe, we highly recommend this one. Perfect for dinner or an upcoming soup potluck!
Let the crock do the work
This recipe is easy because all you have to do is toss in the ingredients and let the crock pot do all the work! Here’s a step-by-step breakdown:
vegetable. Open your saucepan, put the butter in and let it melt. Stir in all vegetables and coat with butter.
Chick. Season the (cooked and diced) chicken as desired before adding it to the saucepan.
Slow cooker. In a separate bowl, combine soup, milk, sour cream, chicken broth, and ranch dressing. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 4-6 hours.
Serve. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
This stew can be easily made on the stovetop. Just melt the butter in a large pot and stir in the buttered vegetables. Also add chicken. Combine soup, milk, sour cream, broth, and ranch dressing in a bowl and add to pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.
Tips and FAQs
Can this recipe be doubled? This stew recipe could definitely be doubled if more people were to eat it. Just double each ingredient and make sure to use a large crock pot that can hold it.
What potatoes are best for stews: Stay away from potatoes that are high in starch and have a grainy texture. Stick with red, Yukon Gold, fingerling, or landrace potatoes.
What other vegetables can I put in this stew?
How to thicken chicken stew? The thickness of the stew is really a personal preference. Here are some ways to thicken your soup to your favorite texture:
- Mash up some of the potatoes already in the stew and stir.
- Add cornstarch: In a separate bowl, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to 1 tablespoon cold water. Stir, then stir into the stew.
- Add flour: In a separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon flour and ½ c broth. Slowly add to stew.
- Add instant potatoes: Stir in 1 tablespoon at a time to allow it to absorb into the stew, then add another tablespoon.
There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup for fall or winter! ! With a recipe as easy as this one, you’re sure to make it over and over again. 😉
Freezes very well!
How to Freeze Chicken Stew? If you plan to freeze this soup, be sure to undercook the vegetables. Let the soup cool completely. Place in freezer-safe container with 1 inch of headspace. Store for 4-6 months. Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat smaller portions in the microwave or larger portions on the stove top.
- Freeze into individual sized portions.
- Omit any thickeners such as flour or cornstarch. If you thaw frozen soup in the fridge then it will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge before reheating.
- You can eat half now and freeze the other half. Halfway through the cooking process, place half of the soup in a freezer-safe container (remember you’ll be freezing uncooked vegetables) to let the soup cool, cover and place in the freezer.
For more crock pot soups, check out:
Prep time 5 minutes
3 hours cooking time
Total time 3 hours 5 minutes
Serving Size 6
Calories 316 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 TB butter
- 4 small sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 c baby carrots halved
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 ounce packet dry ranch dressing mix or 3 TB
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
Add butter to bottom of crock pot. Let melt. Stir in all buttered vegetables. Season chicken as desired, then add to crock pot.
In a separate bowl, combine soup, milk, sour cream, chicken broth, and ranch dressing. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-6 hours.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
Adapted from thecozycook.com