Chinese Pasta Salad with Homemade Dressing
Chinese Pasta Salad is filled with lettuce, spaghetti, chicken, fried wontons and more, all in a delicious homemade dressing.
This is not your traditional pasta salad dish! It has a bit of an Asian twist, similar to our Asian Pasta Salad. You can serve it with some Chinese entrees, or use it as a side dish for a potluck or BBQ.
Chinese Pasta Salad
I mentioned it before, but I was able to live in China for a semester in my early twenties. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I often think about the friends I made and the wonderful memories I made there.
Because of this experience, it is a tradition to celebrate Chinese New Year every year as a way to reminisce about the joys of being in China. Chinese food (or American Chinese food) is my favorite and I try to eat as much as I can!
The next recipe was tried by my mom and sisters. Just looking at it makes my mouth water. I think it will definitely be on the menu for our upcoming Chinese New Year celebrations.
I know fried wontons are the least healthy part of this recipe, but they are my favorite. They add the perfect crunch to this delicious salad. 😉
salad side dish
Here’s what you’ll need to make this salad:
- spaghetti: We used rotini but you can use any bite size pasta like bow tie or macaroni.
- Chick: For the easiest way to cook and mince chicken, check out this article. You can also use pork or shrimp instead of chicken.
- almond: Toasted almonds are super easy! All you need to do is preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake. Stir after 2 minutes and check if they are the desired color. If not, cook for another 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t get too brown.
- Fried wontons: Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, fry the wonton wrappers in small batches for about 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- green onion (optional)
- sesame seeds
assemble, In a large bowl combine lettuce, chicken breast, almonds, pasta and scallions. Add seasonings to a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over salad before serving and top with wonton strips and sesame seeds.
lead and store
You can prepare all the ingredients a day or two in advance this salad. For best results, store pasta, chicken, lettuce, onion, and dressing separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Ravioli, almonds and sesame seeds can be kept at room temperature.
When you’re ready, just grab the prepared ingredients and stir them together before serving. Simple and delicious!
leftover pasta salad, saved In an airtight container, it will keep in the refrigerator for 2-5 days. One way to make sure leftovers last longer is to set aside the dressing and wontons.
For more delicious Chinese recipes, be sure to check out:
Course Appetizers, Salads
Prep time 5 minutes
cooking time 1 minute
Total time 6 minutes
Serving Size 6
Calories 309 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 15 3-inch wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 shredded chicken breast
- 2 chopped onions (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 cups pasta cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Heat canola oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, fry the wonton wrappers in small batches for about 30 seconds or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
In a large bowl combine lettuce, chicken breast, almonds, pasta and scallions.
Add seasonings to a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over salad before serving and top with wonton strips and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from here.