Whiskey Chicken Shrimp with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100g)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved and mashed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup pineapple juice (240 ml)
- ⅔ cup water (160 ml)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (60 ml)
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar (250 g)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup white onion (35 g), chopped
- 2 tablespoons pineapple, crushed
- 2 tablespoons whisky
- ½ teaspoon chili
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- cold water, as needed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 ml)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Drizzle the halved garlic heads with olive oil and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Wrap garlic in foil.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the garlic cloves are golden brown and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Add eggs and panko to 2 shallow pans.
- Coat the chicken breasts with eggs, then scoop up the breadcrumbs, making sure the crumbs adhere to the chicken.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, add the chicken to the hot oil and cook until golden on both sides and cooked through, 5-8 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Wipe the pan to remove any remaining oil and crumbs.
- Season shrimp with ¼ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Coat the shrimp in the egg, then scoop up the bread crumbs, making sure the bread crumbs stick to the shrimp.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the same pan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the shrimp to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside. Wipe the pan to remove any remaining oil and crumbs.
- Make the whiskey glaze: Squeeze the cloves from half the roasted garlic head into a medium bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the garlic cloves into a paste. Add pineapple juice, water, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour the sauce into the same saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once boiled, add lemon zest and juice, onion, chopped pineapple, whiskey and chili peppers. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and syrupy.
- While sauce is cooking, make mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot and cover 1 inch (2 ½ cm) with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the warm pot. Add the remaining half of the roasted garlic clove. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or wooden spoon. Add butter and cream and mix well. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken and shrimp to the pan and coat with the sauce. Transfer chicken and shrimp to a plate with a few spoonfuls of mashed potatoes and garnish with parsley.