Easy Bread Pudding Recipe (+Video)
Bread pudding is a simple and easy dessert made from soft white bread and simple daily ingredients. This is an old-fashioned recipe that your whole family will love.
Oh, the slimy hot bread pudding is a classic dessert recipe!Just like our famous peach pie, this recipe is warm and delicious with ice cream and caramel syrup
Easy Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is a comforting and comfortable dessert. It has a delicious cinnamon and cream flavor. You can add raisins or chopped pecans-but I like it best with a little caramel sauce and ice cream.
It is similar to a French toast casserole, except that it is creamier, sweeter, and a bit sticky-which makes it the perfect choice for dessert.
What is bread pudding? Bread pudding is an old-fashioned dessert made from day-old bread cubes. The bread is soaked in a simple custard made of eggs, milk, sugar and a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Then bake in a large baking pan until the top is golden brown and the center is still a bit sticky.
It tastes warm, comfortable and completely addictive. This absolutely proves that you don’t need fancy ingredients or equipment to make super delicious desserts.
How to make bread pudding
This recipe is really not easy to make.
- I like to start with slightly stale white fluffy bread. When the bread is a bit stale, I find it can withstand the extra soaking of the custard mixture. Any kind of thickly sliced white bread works well-I usually choose brioche or salad bread. Cut the bread into cubes and place in a greased 9×13 inch casserole.
- To make a custard-like sauce, stir 6 large eggs. Then add 1 cup of sugar, 4 cups of whole milk, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. I like to use whole milk because it makes it creamier and more delicious.
- Then pour the egg mixture on the bread, stirring if necessary, so that all the bread is coated. At this point, you can also add ½ cup of raisins or ½ cup of chopped pecans.
- Let the pudding sit for 20 minutes before baking. This allows the bread to absorb all the milk.
- Then bake the mixture in a preheated oven at 350F for 40-45 minutes. I like to use a pan covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes before baking, and then uncover the lid in the last 20 minutes to prevent the top from becoming too brown.
Can you make bread pudding in advance? You can prepare the pudding in advance (up to 12 hours before serving). Cover the pot with aluminum foil and put it in the refrigerator. Then, when you are ready to enjoy it-put it in the preheated oven.
How to make the sauce:
For convenience, we usually serve bread pudding with caramel syrup and ice cream, but you can also make your own bread pudding sauce.
Our favorite is vanilla sauce, which is made by mixing ½ cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 ¼ cup milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla. You will cook this for about 10 minutes, stirring all the time.
The sauce will thicken and it will be delicious when poured on this bread pudding.
Store, reheat + freeze
How to store/reheat bread pudding? Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Be sure to cover it, because it is usually already dry and you don’t want it to dry any more.
You can reheat it in the oven or microwave, but make sure the internal temperature reaches 165. If you want crispy topping, we recommend baking at the last minute.
How to freeze bread pudding? Cover tightly and put in the refrigerator for 3-4 months. Before reheating, be sure to let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. If there is too much water loss, we recommend adding a little caramel sauce or heavy cream before reheating.
This bread pudding is so delicious as a simple dessert recipe or an extra decadent breakfast. It turns out that you only need some daily ingredients to make delicious dishes, and everyone wants a second help!
For more delicious recipes, please check:
Preparation time 10 minutes
40 minutes cooking time
Rest for 20 minutes
Total time 50 minutes
Calories 308 kcal
Author Little Luna
- 1 large loaf white bread I usually use 18 ounces of bread
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Butter to add oil to the pan
Grease a 3 quart (9×13 inch) casserole.
Cut the bread into cubes and place them in a greased pan.
In a very large bowl, whisk the eggs.
Then add sugar, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Pour the egg mixture on the bread, throw away the bread if necessary, so that it is completely covered with the egg mixture.
Let the pudding sit for 20 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the egg mixture. While waiting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cover the plate with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil and continue baking for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let it cool for at least 10 minutes, then cut into pieces and eat.
* Cover the leftovers and put them in the refrigerator. Bread pudding is best eaten hot. You can heat it in a microwave or preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, cover and bake for 10 minutes to heat it up.