Chicken Rice Soup Best
The creamy homemade chicken and rice soup is hearty and delicious. Best of all, it’s on the table in just 30 minutes!
Chicken and rice soup is perfect for a last-minute dinner and goes perfectly with warm bread. I especially love homemade cornbread or olive garden bread sticks.
Easy Chicken Rice Soup
We’ve discussed our love of soup countless times on the site. With the cold weather and Christmas fast approaching, it seems like nothing beats a big bowl of hot soup. Just thinking about this fills my heart with happiness. 😀
Because we love soups so much (like our Chicken Noodle Soup or Baked Potato Soup), we love trying new recipes and sharing them with everyone. We only share our favorites, and while we have too many favorites on the site, we wanted to share with you another recipe that we absolutely love – Easy Chicken and Rice Soup.
We’ve never tried a similar recipe, so it was really fun to try a soup with a whole new flavor and texture. Adding rice to a soup is really hearty – not to mention the other delicious toppings in this soup! I should also mention that this chicken rice soup is super easy to make.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Rice Soup
This soup is filled with the most amazing ingredients that make it so hearty and filling. These ingredients include:
- long grain rice
- Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- chicken nuggets
- cream cheese
If I haven’t convinced you to try this recipe by following the ingredient list, maybe these simple instructions will. 😉
Rice. Cook the rice in a large pot according to the directions on the package.
Cook. Add remaining ingredients to large pot and cook over medium-low heat until combined and heated through (about 20 minutes).
That’s it! You can have this homemade chicken and rice soup on the table in about 30 minutes.
Tips, Variations + Storage Information
Cook the rice before adding it to the soup. You can also toss in the raw rice once your soup starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 25 minutes or so.
Use the crock pot to make this soup:
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Add the rice during the last hour or so, or until it’s soft.
To make this soup in the Instant Pot:
- Cut your raw chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function, place the stainless steel insert in the pot, and let some oil heat up.
- Add vegetables and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the seasoning when the chicken starts to turn white. Cook until almost done.
- Add rice and liquid and mix well.
- Cover and seal. Turn the Instant Pot to high and set the timer for 4 minutes. (It takes about 7 minutes for the pressure to build up before the timer starts) After the timer finishes, it will naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes. Then help it finish by moving the valve to the vent position.
Freeze ahead of time: If you plan to make this soup freeze Immediately (before cooking) you can make some changes that will give better results when you defrost the soup for later use.
- Freeze the rice in a separate bag. Add it to the soup mix after thawing and it’s ready to heat.
- Make sure you don’t fully thaw frozen vegetables. Raw vegetables can lose some of their desired texture after freezing and reheating.
- Place the frozen soup in a freezer-safe Tupperware container, leaving a little room at the top for the liquid to expand as it freezes. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Thaw soup in the refrigerator. Add the rice and heat the soup on the stove over low heat.
shop Leftovers keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the rice will continue to absorb the broth and may become mushy, but the soup is still very tasty. reheat On the stove or microwave, add broth as needed.
For more chicken soup recipes, check out:
Course Main Course, Soup
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
Serving Size 6
Calories 458 kcal
by Lil’ Luna
- 1 c long grain rice
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (10.75 oz)
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (10.75 oz)
- 3c milk
- 1 1/2 c cooked chicken nuggets (2 chicken breasts)
- 2 c frozen vegetables thawed and chopped
- 3/4 c cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
Cook the rice in a large pot according to the directions on the package.
Add remaining ingredients to large pot and cook over medium-low heat until combined and heated through (about 20 minutes).