- The first step in avoiding slathering your otherwise healthy salad with calories is to reconsider your salad dressing.
- Avocado. A serving of avocado is about one-third of the fruit, and it’s enough to add creamy texture and moisture to the greens.
- Splash of citrus.
- Oil and vinegar.
The Top 5 Healthy Salad Dressing Alternatives
- Oil and Vinegar. This is a simple and effective way to add flavor and healthy omega fats in your diet.
- Tahini Dressing. If you enjoy Greek flavors, consider Tahini dressing to spice up your salad.
- Stilton Salad Dressing. Follow along with this recipe for a great salad dressing alternative.
Make Your Own Salad Dressing
- A Simple Vinaigrette. Just join some sort of acid, oil and flavorings and — ta-da! — you have salad dressing!
- Another Favorite: Honey Mustard. This recipe below doesn’t use oil so it’s low in fat and calories.
- Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing. Add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
“In general, the healthiest choices are oil and vinegar or a light vinaigrette,” Dobbins says. Still, she cautions that it is important to watch your portions because this dressing has a relatively high sodium-per-serving level. How do you make homemade salad dressing?