Despite “church” being part of the name, Church’s Chicken is not a church and has no affiliation with any churches. It’s merely the last name of the restaurant’s founder.
These included (in order of most congregations to least): the United Methodist Church (UMC), the Roman Catholic Church, the Assemblies of God, the Presbyterian Church (USA), the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, The Episcopal Church, the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod,
An estimated 30,000 congregations shut their doors in the United States from 2006 to 2012. Yet a recent study finds good news for churches overall—including the lowest closure rate of any American institution.
According to My San Antonio, the restaurant’s founder, George W. Church, opened the first Church’s Chicken in Alamo Plaza in 1952. The first restaurant didn’t even have a dining room and patrons would walk right up to the window where they could get two pieces of fried chicken and a roll for just 49 cents.
How many Church’s Chicken restaurants were there in Texas?
By the end of that year, there were more than 100 Church’s Chicken restaurants in seven states, making the chain the first from Texas to become a national one. Church’s Chicken gained 387 more restaurants between 1969 and 1974. In the late 1970s, the chain briefly operated a hamburger franchise in Texas called G.W. Jrs.
Church’s Chicken. Church’s Chicken is an American fast food restaurant chain that specializes in fried chicken and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. The chain was founded as Church’s Fried Chicken To-Go by George W. Church Sr. on April 17, 1952, in San Antonio, Texas, across the street from The Alamo.
Church’s Chicken offers chicken combos, family meals and tenders. The combos and family meals include a choice of one or more sides, including fried okra, coleslaw, mashed potatoes, corn on the cobb, honey butter biscuits and jalapeño peppers. The dessert menu includes the Texas sheet cake cup and apple pie.
The dessert menu includes the Texas sheet cake cup and apple pie. The seasonal seafood menu includes shrimp and crispy fish. Church’s Chicken restaurants have stocked beverages supplied by The Coca-Cola Company since 1952. In 2008, the companies announced the renewal of their existing contract.
Church’s Chicken added fries and jalapeños to its menu in 1955. To allow customers to see their food prepared while they waited, Church Sr. designed the kitchen with the fryers next to the takeout window. A Church’s Chicken in Detroit.
Church’s Partners Foundation, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) charity that supports the employees of and employees of franchisees of Church’s Chicken, their families and their communities.
In Canada, Church’s Chicken items were once available in Harvey’s restaurants, but the co-venture was discontinued.