- 1 ½ cups cold water (360 ml)
- 12 packets of gelatin powder
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- nonstick cooking spray for greasing
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (190 g)
- ⅓ cup dark cocoa powder (40 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (220 grams)
- 1 cup hot water (240ml)
- ½ cup canola oil (120 ml)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes (50 g)
- 12 holiday-themed lollipops, trimmed to 2 inches (5 cm)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 12 small balloons, inflated to 3 inches (7 cm) in diameter
- 12 strings
- Calories 385
- Fat 17g
- Carbohydrates 53g
- Fiber 1g
- sugar 40g
- Protein 4g
An estimate based on a serving size.
- Make edible snowballs: In a small bowl, whisk together cold water and gelatin. Let the gelatin bloom for 5 minutes until the water is mostly absorbed. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until gelatin is melted.
- Add sugar and peppermint extract and stir until dissolved. Cool for 10 minutes. If any foam rises to the top, skim and discard.
- Spray the balloon with nonstick spray. Dab lightly with a paper towel to distribute.
- Dip each balloon in gelatin until 3/4 of the way down. Using tape or poke a small hole above the knot, attach the balloon to the skewer and stand upright in a tall glass for 1-2 minutes. Dip the gelatin again and stand it upright in the tall glass again. If the gelatin starts to set, microwave it every 10 seconds until all the balloons are covered. Let the balloon sit for at least 12 hours until it is no longer sticky.
- To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Add hot water, canola oil, apple cider vinegar, and herbs and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish the edible snowball: Carefully remove a balloon from the skewer. Pinch a little balloon near the knot and carefully cut a small hole. Allow the air to slowly release from the balloon, then pull out the gelatin snow globe and discard the balloon. If uneven, trim the edges of the snowball. Repeat with remaining coated balloons. Stand the snowballs upright on the baking sheet until ready to serve on the cupcakes.
- Assemble the cupcakes: Spread a dollop of vanilla frosting on each cupcake and spread evenly over the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut over the frosting and distribute it evenly between the cupcakes.
- Place a holiday lollipop on each cupcake and insert the stick into the cupcake. Place the snowballs on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.