- nonstick cooking spray for greasing
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar (30 g)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup unsulfur molasses (170 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese (115 grams), softened
- ½ cup brown sugar (110 g)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips (350 g)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, diced
- Calories 224
- Fat 13g
- Carbohydrates 25g
- Fiber 1g
- sugar 14g
- 3g protein
An estimate based on a serving size.
- To make gingerbread: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 13 inch (22.5 x 32.5 cm) baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, syrup, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring with a rubber spatula to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake the gingerbread for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add brown sugar and heavy cream and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, crumble gingerbread into fine crumbs with your hands.
- Add the cream cheese frosting to the crushed gingerbread and toss to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a 1-ounce spoon, divide gingerbread mixture into 24 balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Cool for at least 10 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave every 30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Place a wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Roll each truffle gingerbread into melted chocolate and place on a rack. Garnish each truffle with crystallized ginger, then transfer to the refrigerator to set the chocolate, about 15 minutes.