Cardamom Pistachio Sugar Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (280 g), plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 g)
- ½ cup shelled pistachios (65 grams), plus ¼ cup (30 grams), chopped
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups powdered sugar (300g)
- ¼ cup whole milk (60 ml)
- Dried rose petals, for garnish – optional
- Calories 65
- Fat 1g
- Carbohydrates 13g
- Fiber 0g
- sugar 8g
- Protein 1g
An estimate based on a serving size.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cardamom and salt.
- In a food processor, combine granulated sugar and ½ cup (65 g) pistachios. Process until finely ground. Transfer to a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until smooth, 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the eggs and vanilla and whisk until almost combined. Add the flour mixture and continue to mix on medium-low speed until the dough comes together. Divide the dough into 2 and form into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using one serving at a time, roll out dough to ⅛ inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a 2 ⅝ inch (6 cm) scalloped edge cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Reroll the pieces to cut out more cookies. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Arrange grills in top and bottom thirds. Preheat to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake cookies, rotating pan 180°, switching from top to bottom halfway through, until cookies are set, 12-14 minutes. Cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth; icing will be thick.
- Using a spatula, spread the frosting evenly over the cookies, all the way to the edges. Return to rack and immediately sprinkle crushed pistachios and rose petals (if using) on top. Let stand until dry to the touch, then wait another 20 minutes.